Top Tips for Eating Out with Toddlers in Sydney
Mums & Bubs
By: Serina Hajje, ellaslist
We all know that going out to eat with toddlers can be a stressful and disastrous experience. Don’t expect to have long and meaningful conversation or linger over coffee and cake. But with this survival guide to eating out with kids in Sydney, you will be well prepared, and who knows? You may even have fun!
1. Choose Toddler-Friendly Places To Eat
This is probably the most important step. The place you choose to eat at will make or break your experience. Find a spot that respects the temperamental nature of kids, that caters to their non-sophisticated taste buds and has some level of entertainment for them. Here are a few of our favourite kids-friendly cafes and restaurants:
- The BEST kid-friendly Cafes All over Sydney
- Find the top ten kid-friendly cafes with a play area
- See which Cafes are near playgrounds and let the kids run wild!
- Explore the Best kids menus in Sydney
- These pubs have a great reputation for being family friendly
- Here are the Best kid friendly cafes in Western Sydney
- Check out Six of the best kid-friendly restaurants in the Hills
- We’ve found some Delicious family foodie spots in Penrith
- Have a cup of coffee at any of these Kid friendly cafes in the Northern Suburbs
2. Pick a Fun Cafe
Don’t settle for a plain and boring cafe! The more engrossed kids are with their surroundings, the less likely they’ll want to get up to mischief and they may even sit still in their seat! There are some really unique cafes, from 50’s diners to cat cafes, so go out and have some fun!
- We’ve wrapped up the best dining experiences for kids in Sydney
- See cats, cats and more cats at these lovely Sydney cat cafes. Our favourite? Catmosphere.
- Dog-friendly cafes. Yep, they exist.
3. Ultimate Kiddie Treats
What kid won’t sit still at the promise of sugar? These places have made the list for providing not only mouth-watering treats but for also a fabulously fun environment.
- Let’s start with a classic: here are the Best chocolate cafes in Sydney
- Every kid loves a babycino so here is our list of the best babycinos in Sydney
- I scream, you scream, we all scream for Ice-Cream! Head to any of these ice cream parlours across Sydney
- Take a sip of the best milkshakes in Sydney
- You have to tick off these special treat cafes and restaurants for kids
- The Tella Ball dessert bar is here and ready to serve all your sugar needs
4. Be Armed and Ready…with Games
Grab your large bag and pack ammunition to keep your toddler happy. It’s the best way to keep them smiling while you’re waiting for the food to arrive.
- Try any of these 12 simple games
- Or have a go at these Six screen free ways to entertain kids
- If you have an iPad or phone handy, Try these amazing apps that keep the kids amused for hours
- If your little one is a reader, be sure to pack these amazing books!
5. Be Aware
It’s no secret that some cafe owners are slightly apprehensive when they see a parent and kid walking through their door. Better to be informed though, so here are Six of the worst things that cafe owners hate about our kids.
6. Be Ready: Some Extra Tips
- Pack any favourite toys that fit on a highchair table
- Have a pretend meal at home to practice manners: invite all the stuffed animals for an important meal and gently show your toddler proper table manners
- Clear the table: any knives or forks nearby? They have to go. You don’t want anything heavy or sharp within their reach when they’re feeling a tad bit upset
- Good timing: be sure that they’re not really hungry because they’ll just be more temperamental
- Let them walk around: you can’t expect a toddler to sit through the entire meal. If they’re still restless and the warning signs of a tantrum is coming, then take a quick walk outside
- Talk to them: toddlers want your attention so be sure to talk to them and engage with them fully during the meal
- Don’t be discouraged if it goes all wrong: toddlers are learners and going out is an ongoing process. If you have to leave because it’s getting too much, don’t worry. Pack up and try again another day!
7. If All Else Fails, Try These
For some delicious Sydney foods highly likely to put toddlers into a lovely, quiet food coma, whilst you enjoy a second cup of coffee try these:
- The Best Fish & Chips In Sydney
- The Best Toasties & Jaffles in Sydney
- The Best Hot Chips In Sydney
- To make the eating-out experience for mum, try a place where kids eat FREE!
Reviews get lonely too
Be awesome and write a review