Best Summer Events for Kids and Families 2018
By: ellaslist team
Nov 15, 2018
Summer is when Sydney truly comes alive with three months of action-packed activities, festivals, events and water parks that the whole family can enjoy! We've handpicked some of the best things to do with kids, some of them won't cost you a cent.
Top 10 Summer Must-Do's
1. Sydney WILD LIFE Zoo - Kids keen on wildlife, from the cute and feathery to the beastly and creepy? Pop into the Wild Life Zoo to introduce the kids to over 1,000 native animals, insects and reptiles. DARLING HARBOUR
2. Museum of Sydney- This Summer, see inside buildings, duck underground, and explore the streets to find out what’s going on above your head and beneath your feet with a brand new exhibition adapted from the bestselling book How Cities Work from Lonely Planet Kids. SYDNEY CBD
3. Skyzone Trampoline Park - Jumpy jump-jump-jump and fly! It’s not just the kids who gets to jump their heart out. Also check out the new Ninja Gym for your little warriors. ALEXANDRIA and MIRANDA
4. SEA LIFE Sydney- This Summer, kids can learn all about the Great Barrier Reef at the aquarium's newest exhibition. DARLING HARBOUR
5. iFLY Down Under - Keep cool and add indoor skydiving to your list – fly and have the most exhilarating, involving and rewarding experience imaginable this summer! PENRITH
6. Trees Adventure - Swing from the treetops above the Sydney Blue Gums, it's fun for the whole family! GROSE PARK
7. Calmsley Hill City Farm – There’s a full day program that invites the family into a life on the farm. ABBOTSBURY
8. Row A Boat- Your weekend family adventure sorted- hire paddleboats, rowboats, stand up paddleboards, canoes, kayaks and pedal boats. LAKE PARRAMATTA
9. Royal Botanic Garden, Sydney- Kids are encouraged to get outdoors this Summer with a heap of awesome activities including nature play and crafts with Garden Grubs, learn about Aboriginal culture, check out Plants with Bite at the Calyx, take a spooky twilight tour and loads more! SYDNEY CBD
10. Star Wars Exhibition - is the force strong with you? At the Powerhouse Museum this summer, discover rare treasures from Star Wars and see original costumes, props, models and artworks up close as you go behind the scenes of the movie-making process. PYRMONT
A BONUS ONE JUST FOR CHRISTMAS
The Lights of Christmas: A magical event in the heart of Sydney at St Mary's Cathedral Square. The whole family will love this spectacular free sound and light show every night which emcompasses the true spirit of Christmas.
Sydney Fesitval 2019
The city has magic in the air when this festival comes to town in January 9-27, 2019. Check out our guide to the best of Sydney Fesival for families.... it looks out of this world good!
Top 5 Free Events For Summer
1. Little Darlings Night Owls Kid’s Film Festival at Village Green Darling Quarter. Enjoy a free film under the stars (4 – 20 January 2019) with a bumper program of family features, after hours features and the Little Big Shots short films! DARLING HARBOUR
2. The Wiggles Australia Day Concert - we love this annual event at Darling Harbour and we hear there will be not one but two free Wiggles concerts this time! DARLING HARBOUR
3. Plants with Bite - see the most beautiful and most deadly plant in the world - from the Venus Fly Trap (watch it snap!) to the Drosera just waiting to grab a bite with its sticky fingers. Look out for the Pitcher Plants, waiting to drown their prey, little bugs with honey in their pitfall trap. ROYAL BOTANIC GARDENS, SYDNEY
4. Treat the kids to dinner for free at one of these Sydney restaurants/cafes/bars. Yes, really, for free! VARIOUS
5. Begin Australia Day right by celebrating the world’s oldest surviving culture at Barangaroo. Watch a special performance by Indigenous dancers and singers at Barangaroo. Listen and sing along with the choral performance of the Budjari Gunyalungalung Baraya-la, which translates as ‘Let’s Sing Good Dreaming’. BARANGAROO
Best Outdoor Cinemas For Families
Pack a picnic and enjoy some cinema under the stars (with the bats above your head) at the Moonlight Cinema, it's the obvious choice for families with a program packed with family friendly choices, and some classic date night options too. But there are plenty more to choose from! Check out our guide to the best outdoor cinemas for families this summer.
TOP 10 Spots to Cool Down & Splash About
We all love a fantastic spot to cool off in summer. Here’s our top 10 that both the littlies and school kids will enjoy!
1. Darling Harbour Water Park, DARLING HARBOUR
2. Splasher’s Water Playground, SYDNEY OLYMPIC PARK
3. Nurragingy Reserve Water Park, DOONSIDE
4. Parsley Bay Reserve, VAUCLUSE
5. Bundeena Beach, BUNDEENA
6. Little Manly Cove beach, MANLY
7. Blaxland Riverside Park, SYDNEY OLYMPIC PARK
8. Granville Water Park, MERRYLANDS
9. Greenwich Baths, GREENWICH
10. Bronte Beach, BRONTE
And here’s some BONUS Summer fun! Check out this list of the best kid friendly beaches on the Northern Beaches, in South Sydney, around the Harbour, and we spilled the beans on Sydney’s secret beaches!
Have you signed up to our newsletter? Join ellaslist to get the best family and kid-friendly events, venues, classes and things to do NEAR YOU!