Top 5 Best and Worst Gifts on Mother's Day
- Parents Only
By Arielle Nakache-Moulay, ellaslist
As any savvy marketer will be aware, Mums are known to do most of the household and gift shopping. So when it comes to Mums’ birthdays and Mother’s Day gifts, we are often made to feign appreciation when really, we’d rather re-gift, refund or choose our own gifts to ensure satisfaction is guaranteed. From what I hear, when Dads or partners do get it right, it can seem like a small miracle!
That’s why I don’t just hint at what I might like to receive to allow me feel appreciated on Mother’s Day; I write a little note on a love-heart pad, send an email (even if we’re in the same room) or make casual suggestions to my husband at a time when I know I have his full attention. It may sound ridiculous but if I don’t make these obvious hints, it’s put in the “You didn’t tell me!” category.
After surveying a group of friends, I learnt that I’m not the only one who has been thrilled or less than enthusiastic, to put it mildly, upon the opening of a Mother’s Day gift. Here’s a list of the 5 best and worst gifts that have gone around in my circle, and then maybe have gone around again in the form of a re-gift or ended up going cheap at a garage sale…
Top 5 Worst Mother’s Day Gifts
1. A striped adult onesie – hubby thought that since I liked to ‘lounge’ after hours he’d pick me up something super comfy online, but the medium size was made for a giant so he ended up wearing it!
2. An iron...or worse, a toilet brush and cleaning set – grrrrrr :(
3. A voucher for a hair-cut - when my friend turned up to the shop to use her voucher she found the shop had since closed.
4. Flowers from the servo or local supermarket – this last minute thought was better than nothing, but the flowers were limp and almost dead after 24 hours. Added to that, I was left to change nappies back to back and deal with twin tantrums whilst hubby ducked out for this last minute gift – NOT HAPPY JAN!
5. Nothing, nada, zip – husbands are notorious for forgetting to arrange something for Mother’s Day leaving Mums around Australia feeling pretty grumpy on this day (see below for some ideas to throw at your other halves to ensure this doesn’t happen to you!)
Top 6 Best Mother’s Day Gifts
1. A week's worth of meals so Mum doesn't have to cook for a week (if Mum can do it, so can you!). Alternatively, you could always order her the Marley Spoon Mother's Day Autumn Roast Box to make cooking at least a little bit easier, more delicious, and a fun team effort! The kids will love opening the box and helping out with this one too (especially when it comes to the Hazelnut Apple Crumble for dessert!), and you can all enjoy a special family meal together.
2. A poem written by the kids and delivered beautifully, encased in a home-made cardboard frame. If the kids need a helping hand check out the free QVB event where you can get a bespoke poem written for Mum.
3. Photographic memories: If you can't write poetry, remember a picture paints a thousand words! Grab the camera, or even just a smart phone and get some gorgeous snaps of the kids to put in a frame. If you want something a bit more profesh looking but don't want to lay out the cash, Seven Hills Plaza are doing FREE photoshoots so you can surprise Mum with a beautiful photo of the kids against a gorgeous flower wall. They will even gift wrap it for a gold coin donation. All proceeds go to the Blacktown Women’s & Girls’ Health Centre which will score you extra brownie points with Mum.
4. Half a day of babysitting so Mum and Dad can have an afternoon surf + fish and chips date, or a leisurely long lunch.
5. A luxury overnight stay in a hotel – without husband or kids! So a new Mum can have a full night’s sleep without her 5-month-old twins waking her up.
6. A pampering voucher - with locations throughout Sydney and Melbourne, you can't go wrong with an Endota Spa Gift Card. Starting at $25, there's something for every budget, and you're sure to find something that tickles Mum's fancy, from an Organic Infusion Facial to an Organic Relax Massage (yes please!). Perfect for giving Mum some indulgent time to herself to recharge. Also check out Rhodes Waterside shopping centre where you can WIN a $500 pamper pack for Mum simply by uploading a photo and telling them why you love her so much.
Stuck for where to wine and dine mum?
Check out our wrap-up of the Best places for Breakfast, Brunch & Lunch on Mother’s Day.
Whatever you end up with, the team at ellaslist wish all Sydney and Melbourne Mums an indulgent, abundant, fun and adventurous Mother’s Day.
To discover more family inspiration, events and news click here.