Family Fruit Picking Near Sydney
Are you looking for a day trip with a difference? Need a kids activity that lasts the whole day? We love the idea of taking the whole family fruit picking in Sydney! Fruit picking is loads of fun out in the fresh air and it really gives the kids a bit more of an insight into where their food really comes from.
You only pay for what you pick when you go fruit picking in Sydney and the price varies depending on the current market prices for fruit. So you’ll find fruit picking costs way less than your local supermarket charges and the fruit tastes infinitely better! Make sure you check the website for each fruit picking farm to confirm opening days and times as these may change due to weather or seasonal changes.
June to August
Mandarin Picking In Sydney
1. Watkins Family Farm (90 minutes North West of Sydney) 1006 Singleton Mills, Laughtondale NSW. Season: June-September. Pick juicy Imperial mandarins at the Watkins fruit farm offering over 2,000 fruit trees. Situated in a beautiful mountain valley setting, you can feed the sheep and goats and have a ball. Open every weekend from the end of May until the season ends (around the end of September). There’s no entry fee to the farm – you only pay for what you pick! Cash only. It’s an easy day outing from Sydney, just a short country drive from the charming village of Wisemans Ferry. Read our ellaslist review, plus get some top tips on finding the best fruit!
2. Fords Farm: (90 minutes North West of Sydney) 1275 Singleton Road, Laughtondale (via Wisemans Ferry), NSW Season: May-July/August. Pick your mandarins, oranges, lemons, limes and, in July, cumquats. There is $6 entry fee per family/car then you pay $15 per bucket for what you pick. There is a picnic area set aside for you to sit and enjoy the quiet bush surroundings or take a stroll through the orchard to feed the sheep. Book ahead. PLEASE NOTE:
Strawberry Picking In Sydney
1. Ricardoes Tomatoes & Strawberries (10 minutes north of Port Macquarie on the Mid North Coast of NSW) 221 Blackmans Point Road, Port Macquarie. Call: (02) 6585 0663. Season: All Year Round. A visit to this strawberry farm would probably be part of a weekend away but it would be worth it for these plump juicy hydroponic strawberries & tomatoes! Entry is FREE. You only pay for your strawberry picking efforts. Follow Ricardoes Facebook page for the latest info.
September to November
Stone Fruit Picking – Peaches, Nectarines, Plums
1. Canoelands Orchard (One Hour’s Drive North-West from Sydney) 31 Canoelands Road, Canoelands. Call: 0419 688 039. Season: Late October/Early November to Mid-January. Canoelands Orchard now has sweet and juicy peaches and nectarines ripe for the picking. Canoeland’s fresh raw honey is available all year round, as well as animals, chutney jam and an onsite cafe! Open 9 am to 5 pm every day except Christmas Day. Please call ahead weekdays on 0419688039. The cost of fruit picking is currently: Adults (over 15yrs) $5 each to pick, Kids $3, Under 5s FREE, and then around $5.50 per kilo. Fun Tractor Rides are also available at Canoelands Orchard for $3, under 2s go FREE. Follow Canoelands on Facebook for the latest info.
2. Bilpin Fruit Bowl (90 minutes North West of Sydney CBD) 2093 Bells Line of Road, Bilpin NSW. Call: 02 4567 1152 or 0404 061 262. Season: Mid-November-late February. Pick your own peaches starting in mid-November- closed before then! Open weekends for fruit picking from 10 am to 4 pm, entry costs $2.50 per person, under 3s go FREE. Follow Bilpin Fruit Bowl on Facebook for up-to-date info.
Strawberry Picking In Sydney
1. Huntley Berry Farm (near Orange, 3 and a half hours drive from Sydney) Huntley Road, Huntley. Call: 02 6365 5282. Season: November – May Fields of juicy strawberries, raspberries, blackberries & more are waiting to be picked. There's a picnic area, a shop selling berry ice blocks, gourmet jams and fruit syrups, as well as free-range chooks to say hello to. The strawberry picking season begins mid-November so start planning your getaway to Orange. Follow Huntley Berry Farm on Facebook for the latest info.
Strawberry picking continues throughout the year at Ricardoes Tomatoes & Strawberries.
Cherry Picking In Sydney
1. Stockman's Ridge (near Orange, 3 and a half hours drive from Sydney) 21 Boree Lane, Lidster. Call: 02 6365 6212. Season: Mid-November – December. Pick your own cherries (and have a glass of wine or two) at this cellar door and fruit farm. Follow Stockman's Ridge on Facebook for the latest info.
While you’re in Hawkesbury, check out The Australiana Pioneer Village, a tourist attraction portraying the life of the early settlers.
Mandarin Picking In Sydney
1. Grab all the mandarins you can carry at Watkins Family Farm! They will be open every weekend and during the first week of school holidays including and ending on the October long weekend. Entry is free, you just pay for the mandies you pick by the bucket load!
December to February
Stone Fruit Picking – Peaches, Nectarines, Plums
1. Canoelands Orchard (One Hour’s Drive North-West from Sydney) 31 Canoelands Road, Canoelands. Call: 0419 688 039. Fruit Picking Season: October to Mid-January. Canoelands Orchard offers stone fruit picking in Sydney with blood plums, candy plums, white nectarines and yellow nectarines. Canoeland’s fresh raw honey is available all year round! Open 9 am to 5 pm every day except Christmas Day. Follow Canoelands on Facebook for the latest info.
2. Pine Crest Orchard (90 minutes North West of Sydney CBD) 2549 Bell’s Line of Rd, Bilpin. Call: 02 45671143 (after 7:30pm). Fruit Picking Season: December-February. Pick your own yellow and white peaches, apricots and nectarines all at $4/kg. Open Boxing Day from 10 am to 4 pm. Follow Pine Crest Orchard on Facebook for up-to-date info and official summer fruit picking start-date.
3. Bilpin Fruit Bowl (90 minutes North West of Sydney CBD) 2459 Bells Line of Road, Bilpin NSW. Call: 02 4567 1152. Fruit Picking Season: November- February. Fruit available for picking will be yellow flesh peaches, iceberg lettuce, cos lettuce, Chinese cabbage, curly leaf cabbage, savoy cabbage, purple cabbage, zucchini, kale and a limited amount of strawberries, and possibly raspberries and blueberries in February. Apples from early January, pears from late January. Open weekends from 10 am to 4 pm. Follow Bilpin Fruit Bowl on Facebook for up-to-date info.
4. Cedar Creek Orchards (90 minutes South West of Sydney CBD) 269 Mulhollands Rd, Thirlmere NSW. Call: 02 4681 8457 Email: [email protected] Season: November- January. Pick your own yellow and white peaches and nectarines. Follow Cedar Creek Orchards on Facebook for updated info.
5. Glenbernie Orchard (30km North of Wollongong) 259 Darkes Forest Road, Darkes Forest. Call: (02) 4294 3421. Season: November-February. Pick your own peaches, plums, nectarines. Plus apples and Raspberries. Follow Glenbernie Orchard on Facebook for up-to-date info. To pick, you need to book an Orchard Experience Tour.
6. TNT Produce - (90 minutes northwest of Sydney CBD) 153 Kurts Road Bilpin NSW. Call: 0410676152 or 0450515096 Season: End of January - June. With a season that bridges summer, autumn and winter, TNT Produce grows delicious apples, persimmons and more at their beautiful third-generation family orchard
Berry Picking Near Sydney
1. Clyde River Berry Farm (3 hours South of Sydney) 2000A River Road, Mogood NSW. Call: 02 4478 1057. Fruit Picking Season: Early December-late January. Nothing tastes better than berries (primarily growers of blueberries, but you might find strawberries, raspberries and other berries too) picked freshly in the height of summer with your own hands! Grab a bucket and pick all the berries you can handle to take home and freeze. Head to nearby Ulladulla or Bateman’s Bay for beautiful beaches and lots of accommodation options. Bush honey and homemade jams are available too. Open every day from 10 am to 5 pm until the end of January except Christmas day. Follow Clyde River Berry Farm on Facebook for the latest info.
2. Montrose Berry Farm (90 minutes South West of Sydney) Ormond Street, Sutton Forest NSW. Call: 02 4868 1544. Fruit Picking Season: December-February. Pick blueberries, red raspberries, loganberries, boysenberries, autumn raspberries, red currants and hazelnuts. The fruit farm shop sells berry products and pies and there is a gorgeous cottage on-site if you want to stay the night. Entry for adults is $12.50 per person, including 0.5 kg of berries. If you exceed 0.5 kg each, there’s a $2.50/100 gram charge. Young children enter for $7.50 including 300g of berries.
Cherry Farms Near Sydney
You’ll have travel at least 4 hours to find cherry farms near Sydney. Season: mid-November-January. The perfect cherry picking adventure is wrapped up neatly for you at the annual National Cherry Picking Festival in Young, which offers a kid-friendly festival, competitions and plenty of cherry picking! If you’re keen and don’t mind the drive, try Wombat Heights Orchard or Allambie Orchard near Wombat, NSW. And there are plenty more cherry farms a little further afield, The Hawkesbury Harvest website has loads of information on cherry farms around NSW.
March to May
Chestnuts & Walnuts
1. Kookootonga Chestnut & Walnut Farm (2 hours north of Sydney) 247 Mt Irvine Rd, Mt Irvine NSW. Call: 02 4756 2136. Season: March to April. Kookootonga is one of the original chestnut farms to be established in the gorgeous region of Mount Irvine in the Blue Mountains.
2. Nutwood Farm (2 hours north of Sydney) 22 Danes Way Mt. Irvine NSW 2786. Call: 02 4756 2191. Season: March to April. An established 20-hectare nut farm on the edge of Wollangambee National Park with large, good quality, fresh chestnuts and walnuts.
Apple Picking and Peach Picking In Sydney
Bilpin apple picking is a long-standing family activity in Bilpin! Bilpin is full of fruit farms and orchards where you can pick your own apples and peaches. It’s a 90-minute drive away from Sydney and we recommend you take the scenic route over the mountains to the western plains of New South Wales. All the attractions of the Blue Mountains are nearby including one of our favourite spots, the Mount Tomah Botanic Gardens.
1. Bilpin Fruit Bowl (90 minutes North West of Sydney CBD) 93 Bells Line of Road, Bilpin NSW. Call: 02 4567 1152. Fruit Picking Season: Early December-May. Pick your own peaches and apples, plus visit the excellent shop where you can pick up homemade pies, jams, honey and souvenirs. There are also picnic grounds and a kids’ playground. You can see their latest updates on Facebook. Read our ellaslist review.
2. Bilpin Springs Orchard (90 minutes North West of Sydney CBD) 2550 Bells Line of Road, Bilpin, New South Wales. Call: 02 4567 1294. Fruit Picking Season: Mid November-Mid June. This small commercial orchard is open for the public to pick apples, pears (including Nashi), plums, and peaches from their trees. Families enjoy showing their children where apples come from, and older folks remember days when everyone grew their own fruit.
3. Pine Crest Orchard (90 minutes North West of Sydney CBD) 2549 Bell’s Line of Rd, Bilpin. Call: 02 45671143 (after 7:30pm). Fruit Picking Season: January - May. Open on weekends, at Pine Crest Orchard, you can pick your own apples, plums and pears. Local honey, jams and apple juice also available to purchase.
4. Glenbernie Orchard (90 minutes Sydney CBD) 259 Darkes Forest NSW, Darkes Forest 2508. Call: (02) 4294 3421. Season: November- April. This fourth-generation family fruit farm is full of delicious, crunchy apples, peaches and nectarine. They offer tours for families that take you through the orchard and of course the chance to pick apples!
5. TNT Produce - (90 minutes northwest of Sydney CBD) 153 Kurts Road Bilpin NSW. Call: 0410676152 or 0450515096 Season: End of January - June. This third-generation family orchard grows delicious, crunchy, quality apples including Royal Gala, Fuji, Red Delicious and Pink Lady varieties, as well as persimmons, too! For the 2021 season, TNT Produce will be introducing some farm animals to see on your visit (including chickens, meaning visitors can also pick up some organic eggs!). TNT will also be introducing some new varieties of vegetables for you to pick—keep your eyes peeled on their Instagram or Facebook page for updates! Oh and don't forget to take home some of the local nuts, homemade jams, Bilpin apple juice and honey, vinegar and lots more are available to purchase from the shed.
Tomato Picking In Sydney
1. Canoelands Orchard (1 hour Sydney CBD) 27 Canoelands Road, Canoelands, NSW. Call: 0419 688 039. Season: late March-early August. Open 9 am to 5 pm daily the tomatoes are usually looking fabulous and plentiful in the autumn season. They also have cherries, peaches, plums, apricots and blueberries with the main produce being nectarines throughout the year. Read our ellaslist review.
Persimmon Picking In Sydney
1. Cedar Creek Orchard (80 minutes Sydney CBD) 269 Mulhollands Rd Thirlmere, NSW 2572. Call: +61 246 818 457. Season: mid-April-end of May/early June. Open on weekends, be sure to call to make a booking and to check what days they’re open during the week. This is a family-owned and run orchard that houses around 23,000 trees – including apples, peaches and nectarines! It can get very busy during the weekend but they offer tours and transportation to different picking sections.
2. TNT Produce - (90 minutes northwest of Sydney CBD) 153 Kurts Road Bilpin NSW. Call: 0410676152 or 0450515096 Season: End of January - June. Delicious persimmons are all yours for the picking at ellaslist favourite, TNT Produce! For the 2021 season, TNT Produce will also be introducing some farm animals to see on your visit (including chickens, meaning visitors can also pick up some organic eggs!), as well as introducing some new varieties of vegetables for you to pick—keep your eyes peeled on their Instagram or Facebook page for updates!
Thanks to Hasbro: This article is brought to you in partnership with Hasbro Gaming, our Supporting Brand Partner for the Unplug & Play Initiative.
More screen-free family fun
Have you signed up to our newsletter? Join ellaslist to get the best family and kid-friendly events, venues, classes and things to do NEAR YOU!