Make Your Own Playdough: The BEST Recipe Ever!
No need to buy play dough ever! – it’s SOOO easy to make your own, you’ll get heaps, it’ll stay soft – and when it gets all hairy and eurghhh, simply chuck it out and start over. It’s a brilliant toddler activity from about 18 months right through to preschoolers. It’s also a great activity to bring out at a young toddler's birthday party to keep them all amused.
What You'll Need
- 2 cups plain flour
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (not olive oil)
- 1/2 cup salt (the cheapest home brand stuff is fine – this helps to stop them eating it)
- 2 tablespoons cream of tartar (available from any supermarket)
- Up to 1.5 cups boiling water (adding in small amounts until it feels likes it’s going to turn into dough)
- A few drops of food colouring
- Few drops glycerine (this is optional)
Best tip – to make it smell much better, replace the vegetable oil with baby oil. Or simply add a few drops of peppermint or lemon flavouring.
What To Do
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl, no need to sift the flour (flour, salt, cream of tartar)
- Add the oil (vegetable or baby oil)
- Add your food colouring to the hot water then pour into the dry ingredients.
- Stir until it’s one big lump in the bowl.
- Leave the dough to cool for 5 minutes – then give it a jolly good knead until it’s not sticky anymore, you can add more flour if it’s still a little sticky. You can add the optional glycerine at this point.
To store: keep in cling wrap in the fridge for up to 3 weeks or until you can’t look at the hairy bits anymore!
Reviews get lonely too
Be awesome and write a review