Head On Down To The Bellarine Peninsula For A Sunday Drive
Explore the wetlands and the woodlands of Australia's southern ocean when you head on down to the Bellarine Peninsula, where just about everywhere you turn, you are rewarded with a stunning vista.
You might like to make a real road-trip of it and do a self-guided journey through Geelong and The Bellarine following this touring route. For getting out and seeing the sights, you can choose from surf beaches, national parks, public artworks, waterfront piers and fun adventure parks.
The only thing left to do now is get in the car!
How To Get There
Geelong is just over an hour's drive from Melbourne. Travel via the Princes Highway over the West Gate Bridge into Geelong and through onto the Bellarine Peninsula.
What To See
- You Yangs Regional Park - climb to the top and check out the views from Flinders Peak, or set up a BBQ or picnic
- Check out Main Beach at Ocean Grove and watch the surfers
- Go snorkeling at Port Lonsdale
- Visit the many natural attractions in the Moorabool Valley
- See the Rip View Lookout at Port Lonsdale
- Spot bird and aquatic life at Begola Wetlands, in Ocean Grove
- Visit the kiosk, picnic, barbecue and play facilities at Portarlington
- Explore coastal woodland at Edwards Point Nature Conservation Reserve
- Climb the limestone cliffs for incredible views at Barwon Bluff
What To Do
The peninsula is a super family-friendly place, with tons of things to do for young and old. Why not try:
- The Marine and Freshwater Discovery Centre
- The Farmer’s Place
- Fort Queenscliff
- Queenscliffe Maritime Museum
- A Maze'N Games
- The Farmer’s Markets at Golden Plains (first Saturday each month)
- Geelong Adventure Park for splashy water rides (open from October 28)
- Queenscliff Historical Museum
- Fairy Park for medieval myths and tales
- The Hive Gallery Ocean Grove
- Supatramp for trampoline fun!
What to eat on the Bellarine Peninsula
Bring your appetite! Check out:
- Clyde Park Vineyard & Bistro
- Denny's Kitchen for pizza
- Wah Wah Gee for Asian infusion
- Empire Grill for something a little fancier
- Gold Diggers Arms Hotel for good pub food
- The Bungalow Restaurant
- Farm Foods Queenscliff
- Yard 58 Cafe and Nursery
- The Paddock Cafe
What are you waiting for?!
Main image credit: Visit Geelong & The Bellarine
Reviews get lonely too
Be awesome and write a review