Where To Find The Cheapest Movie Tickets In Sydney
- All Ages
Gone are the days when seeing a movie with your kids at your local cinema was considered a cheap afternoon of entertainment. Depending on the cinema you select, what kind of screening (3-D, VMAX) you opt for and whether or not you treat the kids to a combo- taking the family to the latest blockbuster can cost you an arm and a leg, along with just about the cost of everything in Sydney.
Here are some money-saving tips to save dollars on those tickets, because we know every little bit helps.
1. If you're an NRMA NSW member, you can score up to 35% off tickets ($13.50 each) to Event Cinemas when you book online. Not bad!
2. The Telstra Thanks offer gives customers "access to $12.50 movie tickets, $15.50 for 3D or experience blockbusters in Vmax for $16.50 every day of the week, except public holidays, after 5pm on Saturdays and for Bollywood movies". Valid at heaps of cinemas across Sydney.
3. With Optus Perks, you're entitled to discounts at Hoyts cinemas including $12.50 tickets for adults, $9.50 for kids and $27 for HOYTS LUX.
4. AGL members can save up to 40% off movie tickets when you book tickets online for cinemas including Hoyts, Event Cinemas, Palace Cinemas, Greater Union, bcc cinemas and Village Cinemas.
5. Health Fund discounts: If you're a BUPA health fund member, you can get 25% off movie tickets when you book online from Hoyts and Event Cinemas. AAMI Lucky Club Members can get $20 Gold Class tickets Monday-Wednesday (excluding public holidays) at Event Cinemas and Village Cinemas by booking online through AAMI.
6. Some unions offer huge movie ticket discounts, including reduced Hoyts and La Premiere tickets from CEPU.
7. Join a cinema rewards program! If you stay loyal to one cinema, the discounts are worth it. Hoyts Rewards gives you benefits such as a $10 'movie of the week', pre-sale tickets on blockbusters, and the $15 Member Only Combo: a regular drink, a regular popcorn and a choc top for 34% off the standard price! The Ritz Royalty program at the Randwick Ritz (pictured above) offers you a complimentary movie ticket upon joining, reduced 3D movie ticket prices, $8 movie tickets on Tuesdays, and $10 movie tickets every other day of the week - and exclusive special offers like member preview screenings. Well worth checking out if your family are avid movie-goers.
8. School holiday specials: always call ahead and see if your cinema has any special offers during these times!
9. Cheap days: check ahead if your cinema has a day or time slot of the week where tickets are cheap. In many cases, it's Tuesdays or 'tight ass Tuesdays.' The Randwick Ritz offers $10 tickets for their Super Tuesday special ($8 if you're a member), and Hoyts no longer do cheap Tuesdays, they do Super Saver tickets every day of the week. The Hornsby Odeon offers $8 tickets every Tuesday for 2D sessions. Dendy do $13.50 tickets on a Tuesday. Gold Class tickets at Event Cinemas are usually $43 but are just $25 on a Monday.
10. Old school movie theatres with old school prices: check out cinemas like Dumaresq Street in Campbelltown where tickets are just $7.50 all day every day! And Reading Cinemas in Sydney only charge $11 per ticket.
11. Student Mondays: Event Cinemas offer $8 tickets for students every Monday.
12. Check out the Choovie app, which rounds up smaller independent cinemas and prices movie tickets based on how full an upcoming session is - so while packed sessions will be on the pricier side, a session that's full of empty seats will likely come at a bargain price.
More Entertainment Here
Have you signed up to our newsletter? Join ellaslist to get the best family and kid-friendly events, venues, classes and things to do NEAR YOU!